Monday 30 January 2012

Hide & Seek by Ian Rankin


This is the second of the Rebus novels and is definitely more accomplished than the first. The writing is more in line with the later novels and the storyline isn't a simple. However I was not very satisfied with the way things came together in the end. It was all too bitty for me and not as streamlined as in the later books. Also the one-liners aren't as prevalent. But this only goes to show that over time Ian Rankin has been able to develop his writing skills and the Rebus character. 

Also this is the first of the Rebus novels to split the chapters by day which I think works really well in all the Rebus novels I have seen it in. 

Lastly in the recent reprints Rankin has written a little introduction just setting the scene of what influenced the book and so forth which is interesting as are his introductions in the other books I have read.

(This book is available on Amazon UK here)

No comments:

Post a Comment