Saturday 20 April 2013

May Produce Gas (The World of Norm) by Jonathan Meres



I read this with my 6-year-old over several bedtimes. It’s probably not for her age group, what with the talk about hormones, concepts such as global warming, and the use of “flipping” all the time, and would probably be suited more for children around the age of 13.

Despite that I thought it would be interesting to read to her because of the relationships in the book. The particular relationship I liked was that between Norm and his dad who is always telling Norm off for little things like having the computer on or over-filling the kettle, just to give my daughter some idea about how other dads are and other children are put upon by their parents. Also I liked Norm's viewpoint, in that he thinks everything is unfair.

The story though is a mish-mash of ideas. It seems it was written as it went along to wherever the ideas flowed. It starts with global warming, moves on to hormones (i.e. growing up and becoming teenagers), covers bullying in a not all that satisfactory manner (certainly not of any help to those that are being bullied), then ends with some baby-sitting. 

To give the book credit there are regular pictures along the way which do bring the text to life a bit (my daughter's favourite bits), but overall the book is inconsistent (to me at least). 

I got this book through Amazon Vine. It is listed HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment