Tuesday 30 September 2014

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney



This is the book that started the "dairy of a ..." phenomenon and is the first in the wimpy kid series. It stars Greg Heffley as the wimpy kid as he writes his diary, or journal, complete with cartoon images throughout, over a whole school year.

I read it with my 7-year-old daughter over a few bedtimes and she really liked it. You could tell because she was picking it up between readings and reading it herself. And at the end she said she wanted more. I would say that the book is probably aimed for someone a little older as it has bits about wanting the girls to like him but most of it was good for her.

The story is really funny in places and I was laughing as I read it to her. It has a theme of friendship. It is written in American English (soccer, Phys Ed, third period etc.) but is fine for an English audience. If it were consistently really funny then I would have rated it 5 stars instead of 4.

Publication date: 3 July 2008

Amazon UK link: Diary of a Wimpy Kid

No comments:

Post a Comment