Wednesday 3 August 2016

Real Life Family Photography by Amy Drucker

REAL LIFE FAMILY PHOTOGRAPHY BOOK REVIEW: What comes across most in this book about real life family photography is the author's passion for the subject, for her family and for photography. Across four main chapters (The Basics, Babies, Kids and Family) she gives tips and tricks of the trade whilst showing off lots of glossy colour photos to illustrate the points. Her main aim: "I want to encourage you to just keep photographing" and I think in that respect the book works.

The basics section introduces concepts such as exposure and aperture but you'll still need to refer to your camera's instruction manual to work it as this book is "less about the technical perfection than it is about subject matter and vision." Indeed I found tips on basic creative principles such as composition more useful and understandable for me as an amateur. Also interesting are bits of the book on photo editing software, such as Photoshop, and a section on the camera phone. ("I love my camera phone. You can't do everything with [it], but where it shines is its portability. 

All-in-all this is an inspiring book as it encourages you to take photos that "may seem mundane to you now, but one day, I promise, you'll cherish the slice of life, as they were at that moment in time." 

Available on Amazon HERE.


No comments:

Post a Comment