Tuesday 21 February 2012

The Tenderloin by John Butler



No, this isn't a book about steaks. The Tenderloin is a neighbourhood in San Francisco (the book didn't tell me that though, I had to research it - the effort I go to to write these Amazon reviews!) and if you knew that then you might like to read this book because it's shoehorned with San Fran references.

The story follows Evan as he settles in San Fran having come over from Ireland with his friend Milo.

Immediately as I read the book I was hit with a zany writing style where the story fritted from one bit to the next with little joining up in between. Perhaps it was written in bits before being pieced together? Or maybe the author wanted the text to be a bit wayward just like Evan was.

There were some things I didn't like about this book like the lack of attributing dialogue to characters making three-way conversations a little more difficult than they needed to be and the way several characters would said to look like some person that I had never heard of.

But on the other hand there were good things about this book like the storytelling was good, although as previously said I felt they were individual stories pieced together rather than a whole plot, and there was an unconventional ending where you think Evan will resolve his issues and it'll all be ok when actually it doesn't happen like that in real life, and a good epilogue where the story is seen through the eyes of another character.

For a debut novel I enjoyed this quirky read.

(I got this book through Amazon Vine. It is available to buy here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment