Friday 27 July 2012

My Granny is a Pirate by Val McDermid and Arthur Robins



This book is unsurprisingly about a granny who is a pirate. It is a set of rhymes telling us the pirate antics that she gets up to. For me though it seemed overly long as the author tried to fit in as much pirate references into the book as possible. Only towards the end does it emerge into a story of some sort. And it wasn’t just me who thought it was long; my daughters lost interest when I read it and wandered away.

Also it is a bit repetitive. For example pirate grog features more than once. Also one paragraph of rhyme starts “My granny is a pirate; she sailed the seven seas” and another starts “My granny is a pirate; she sailed the ocean blue,...”

Illustrations though are excellent and my daughters were more interested in pointing things out from the pictures.

So this book is a bit repetitive and overly long for the story it is trying to tell but apart from that it is ok. 

(I got this book through Amazon Vine. It is listed here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment